- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explain Jewish Teachings about Equality
The first 200 words of this essay...
Explain Jewish Teachings about Equality (6 marks)
Judaism has many teachings about equality. Firstly, there is the equality between men and women. All men are equal, but women are not equal to men. Their role is not inferior, just different. Therefore, all women are also equal. Women have the special and sacred role as child bearer, homemaker and transmitter of Jewish values, and they have the main responsibility for the children's upbringing. I think this is fair and although they aren't equal I think that both men and women have equally important roles in the Jewish society.
Then, there is equality throughout history. The Jews have experienced a lot of discrimination, persecution and hostility from their neighbours through the Middle Ages, the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. Their responses to the Anti-Semitism were:
* Turning Inward - isolating themselves from non-Jews and focusing their efforts on the Jewish community
* Supporting the Persecuted - the experience of persecution has created a positive resolve to support others suffering racism
* Suspicion of Non-Jews - some Jews still fear those who have persecuted them and those responsible for genocide.
* Protecting the Jewish Community - Some
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Judaism (view all)
- Festivals vs Pilgrimage in Judaism
- Abrahamic religions
- Pete Hamill's novel, Snow in August.
- Can you be a proper Jew if you dont follow laws of Judaism?
- Jewish View on Euthanasia
""Zoey. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.