- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Holy Liturgy or Divine Liturgy.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Holy Liturgy or Divine Liturgy
The Orthodox tradition have a more elaborate form of the Eucharist service. Some Orthodox Christians call the Eucharist the Divine Liturgy, while others call it the Holy Liturgy or Sacrament of Sacraments. Here is an outline of a Greek Orthodox Eucharist:
AN OUTLINE OF THE DIVINE LITURGY
The Service of Preparation - Proskomide (bringing forth the gifts)
1. Priest's Prayers of Preparation (Kairos)
2. Priest's Vesting
3. Preparation of the Gifts
a. Cutting the Pieces from the Offering Bread (Prosphron)
b. Commemorations of Saints and the Faithful (living and dead)
c. Covering of the Gifts
d. A Prayer of Blessing
The Liturgy of the Word (Synaxis) - Liturgy of the Catechumens
1. Doxological Invocation
2. Great Litany - Petitions of Peace (Eirinika)
3. Antiphons - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, separated by brief petitions
4. Small Entrance
6. Biblical Readings
The Eucharist - Liturgy of the Faithful
1. Cherubic Hymn and Great Entrance
2. Petitions, Confession of Faith
3. Kiss of Peace
4. The Creed
5. Offering of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Places of Worship (view all)
- English Speech: Terrorism
- The role of religion in Chronicle of a Death Foretold
- Explain how the Bible is used in congregational and private ...
- Home of Mercy. Gwen Harwood remains an unquestionably devout...
- Why Were Hippocrates And Galen Influential For So Long?
""Zoey. University Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.