- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What is Hajj?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Ai) What is Hajj?
Hajj is the pilgrimage to Makkah that Muslims perform. It is an annual event according to the Islamic calendar. This is a lunar calendar so the date varies each year. Hajj takes place from the 8th to the 13th of Dhull-Hijjah, the twelfth month of this calendar.
Hajj literally means to 'set out with a definite purpose,' although in Islam it refers to the pilgrimage that Muslims make at a specific time each year. This pilgrimage can be done at any time throughout the year, but unless it is done during the set dates, it is known as Umrah instead of Hajj.
Hajj is one of the Muslim five pillars and a Muslim must go on Hajj at least once in their lifetime if money and health allow. A few rules set out for Muslims going on Hajj include;
* Must be physically fit and able to take the strain.
* Must be able to pay.
* Must be of sound mind and old enough to understand the experience
It is pointless to go on Hajj if you end up in debt or are unable
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hajj (view all)
- Why do Muslims go on Hajj?
- Eid Festival
- Analyse how one personal devotion expresses the beliefs of I...
- Describe What happens during Hajj All Muslim...
- "For Muslims, fasting has both advantages and disadvant...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.