- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What is meant by euthanasia?
The first 200 words of this essay...
English 9 Honors
28 May 2002
Euthanasia derives from the Greek for "good death," but in today's world, different people whose viewpoints are influenced by religion, other people, and morals, perceive euthanasia differently. The history of euthanasia dates back to the ancient Greek and Roman civilizations. In those times, putting people to death was considered allowable in some situations. (Beauchamp, 1) For example in the ancient Greek city of Sparta, strength was the highest priority because Sparta was a military city-state. Therefore if weak, severely defected babies were born, they were put to death. In several ancient societies, voluntary euthanasia was acceptable for the elderly. As time went on, polytheism declined and began to fade away. In it's place, Christianity took over. Christians found euthanasia to be ethically and morally wrong, and also a violation of God's gift of life. Due to these new viewpoints, euthanasia became less and less common and was not practiced as much. (Beauchamp, 2) There are many viewpoints on this subject of matter. These opposing viewpoints will be discussed throughout the paper.
There are many different types of euthanasia. First off, the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Euthanasia (view all)
- My hypothesis: Euthanasia should be legalized in the UK.I am...
- Discursive Essay on Euthanasia.
- Euthanasia and the Right to Die With Dignity
- Discursive Essay:Euthanasia
- Christian views on suicide
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.