- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Antibiotics are chemical compounds used to kill or inhibit the growth of infectious organisms.
The first 200 words of this essay...
(1) Antibiotics are chemical compounds used to kill or inhibit the growth of infectious organisms. Antibiotic refers generally to antibacterials. All antibiotics share the property of selective toxicity: They are more toxic to an invading organism than they are to an animal or human host. Penicillin is the most well known antibiotic and has been used to fight many infectious diseases, including syphilis, gonorrhea, tetanus, and scarlet fever. Another antibiotic, streptomycin, has been used to combat tuberculosis.
The main problem scientists have come across where antibiotics are concerned is antibiotic resistance. (2) This is due to the large amount of antibiotics consumed by the nation as a whole. Many people believe that antibiotics are the answer to all illnesses such as the common cold or flu. Antibiotics are needed to fight infections caused by bacteria this means the infections caused by viruses, are totally different and need other forms of a cure. Very often patients wish to leave the doctors with an antibiotic prescription for their own peace of mind - a lot of it is psychological. (3) This result in them being oversubscribed when only a small percentage of people actually
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Living Things in their Environment (view all)
- I will be answering the question: is animal testing right or...
- Research question - Is using dogs for work ethical?
- Movement in Plants and Animals.
- A2 Biology Coursework -Investigation into the effect of diff...
- Animal Testing
- Describe examples of adaptations to the environment shown ...
- Overfishing - The End Of The Line
- To deal with the problem of overpopulation caused by overbre...
- Is eating the best solution to deal with over-breeding speci...
- Where are all the bees?
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.