- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Camargue is a major world heritage wetland and is host to many fragile ecosystems
The first 200 words of this essay...
Camargue is a major world heritage wetland and is host to many fragile ecosystems. The exceptional biological diversity is the result of water and salt in an "amphibious" land inhabited by numerous species.
Location: France, Region : Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur ; Department : Bouches du Rhône ; 2 municipalities.
Size: 86 300 ha.
Nature & Landscape
They are a minute part of Camargue but they play a major role in the overall balance of nature. Some are along the Rhone, others are on former sand dunes south of Vaccarès (like the Rièges woods in the national wildlife preserve). The forest hosts many mammals (rodents, foxes, and boars) and insects eaten by nesting birds (little egrets and night herons).
The low-lying salt plains, which dry out and crack in summer, are carpeted with glasswort that the wild bulls and horses love to graze. Submerged in winter, by spring they provide wetlands for marsh birds (godwits, sandpipers, black-winged stilts, etc.). The glassworts and salt crystals used to be incinerated to yield soda for soap making and glassmaking, but by the end of the 19th century, the plant
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Green Plants as Organisms (view all)
- Plant adaptations to habitats.
- An investigation into the effect of light intensity on the r...
- To measure heat loss in two test tubes which represent bodie...
- Investigating The Fermentation of Yeast
- Quantative analysis of glucose using a colorimeter
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of cloning plants?
- Osmosis investigation. My prediction is that as the concent...
- Which seed will germinate faster a corn or bean in tap water...
- What is photosynthesis? Experiments that discovered the pro...
- Experiment Report on Best Fertilisers
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.