- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Essay on Conservation
The first 200 words of this essay...
Essay on Conservation
Defined as the protection and preservation of natural resources and of the environment, conservation is achieved though active intervention and management rather than passive preservation.
Over a period of time, changes occur within communities that may lead to the development of a stable or climax community, this progression being known as succession. If the wide range of habitats representing the different stages of succession, active intervention is needed.
Maintenance of grassland and the diversity of species, which inhabit it, is achieved through mowing, grazing, burning but the profile of plant and animal species present and the diversity achieved depend on the management strategy adopted.
Mowing controls plant growth and when done by machine cuts to an even level, levelling off molehills or tussocks. Traditional mowing with a scythe retains some unevenness, providing useful habitats for invertebrates or ground nesting birds. Increased diversity of species can be achieved b varying the season and frequency of mowing in addition to the height of the cutter. The close cut of frequently mown grassland is inhospitable to invertebrates and encouraged by rough grass, which has pockets of bare ground or patches of uncut vegetation. Patches
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Living Things in their Environment (view all)
- Investigating the habitat of woodlice.
- An Investigation into a Woodlice's Preferred Choice of Envir...
- The importance uses of micro organisms.
- A2 Biology Coursework -Investigation into the effect of diff...
- Australian Ectotherms & Endotherms
- To deal with the problem of overpopulation caused by overbre...
- Is eating the best solution to deal with over-breeding speci...
- Where are all the bees?
- Dissecting an Owl Pellet Lab
- The aim is to record the data growth of Duckweed and see wha...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.