- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Experiment to investigate the rates of reaction between sodium thiosulphate solution and dilute hydrochloric acid.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Experiment to Investigate the Rates of Reaction between Sodium Thiosulphate Solution and Dilute Hydrochloric Acid
I am going to be doing an experiment to study the rate of reaction between sodium thiosulphate solution and dilute hydrochloric acid.
The chemical equation for this reaction is:
Na2S2O3 (aq) + 2 HCl (aq) ? S (s) + SO2 (g) + 2 NaCl (aq) + H2O (l)
During this chemical reaction there is a slow formation precipitate of solid sulphur. As a result, the solution in which the reaction is taking place gets gradually cloudier. The time the reaction takes to reach a certain point of cloudiness can be measured, by placing the flask over a white sheet of paper onto which a black cross is drawn. Eventually the solution will become so cloudy that you can no longer see the cross. In this way you can study the rate of reaction (how fast it goes under different conditions).
I predict that the higher the concentration of sodium thiosulphate solution, the quicker the rate of reaction will be to produce solid sulphur, which is the precipitate formed from the chemical reaction. So, the more dilute the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Investigation on how long a candle burns under a glass beake...
- Investigate the affect of temperature of sodium thiosulfate ...
- The Effect of Concentration on the Rate of Reaction between ...
- Marble Chips and Hydrochloric Acid.
- Chemistry: Practical Investigation
- Experiment Plan. How much energy is transferred as heat whe...
- How does the concentration of HCl affect the rate of reacti...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.