• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Finding the solubility of Ca(OH)2.

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

Finding the solubility of Ca(OH)2 Aim: To determine the solubility of Ca(OH)2. To carry out the aim of this experiment an experiment needs to be planned and carried out. I am given the information that the solubility of the Ca(OH)2 is between 1 to 1.5g per dm3. Also I am given a standard solution of 1M hydrochloric acid (HCl) which may have to be diluted to suit the measuring needs of the experiment. Apparatus: * 1g of Ca(OH)2. * Pipette 25cm3 * 2 x 500cm3 beaker * Conical flask 250cm3 * Burette * White tile * Burette stand * Stand * Indicator * 300cm3 of Hydrochloric acid- standard solution (concentration of 0.05M) * Distilled water * Filter Paper * Stirring rod * Funnel Method: * Add 1g of Ca(OH)2 to 300cm3 of distilled water in a 500cm3 beaker. ...read more.

Middle

* Use a pipette to add 25cm3 of Ca(OH)2 to the conical flask. * Add the indicator to the 25cm3 of Ca(OH)2 in the conical flask. The solution should change colour from being clear to being pink. Swirl the solution to mix the indictor fully. * First a rough titration needs to be done. * This involves running the tap of the burette till a colour change from pink back to colourless is noticed. Stop pouring when some colour change is visible. * Swirl the conical flask to mix the solutions. * If the solution is colourless, record the amount of HCl left in the burette onto the table. If there is still some pink, add the HCl more slowly and keep stirring till the solution turns colourless and record the results. * Now clean out all conical flask with water first and then rinse with Ca(OH)2. ...read more.

Conclusion

* The 25ml pipette will mean that 25ml of Ca(OH)2 will be used. This volume isn't too small to create too large inaccuracies but not much to make it difficult when mixing the solutions in the conical flask. * The 250ml conical flask allows plenty of space to mix the solutions well and not too large to make it difficult to notice the colour change. * The white tile allows the user to see the colour difference more clearly reducing inaccuracies. * Stirring the Ca(OH)2 using the stirring rod speeds up the dissolving process, creating a more concentrated solution which is closer to the saturation point quickly. Results Start End Change 0 18.70 18.70 (rough) 0 18.25 18.25 (concordant) 0 18.30 18.30 (concordant) 0 18.25 18.25 (concordant) Conclusion Ca(OH)2 + 2HCl --> CaCl2 + 2H2O Errors 25ml pipette �0.006ml 0.24% Burette �0.1ml 0.4% Total error percentage 0.64% Other errors are not given to us such as the accuracy of the HCl concentration. The solid may not have completely dissolved leaving a not completely saturated solution. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Aqueous Chemistry section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related GCSE Aqueous Chemistry essays

  1. Determine Solubility of KClO3 Salt.

    But in this situation it is best if the temperature of the water is 2 oC higher than the required temperature in determining the solubility temperature. Therefore the temperature is required of the hot water should be 42 oC. We need to make sure the temperature is 2 oC higher

  2. How much Iron (II) in 100 grams of Spinach Oleracea?

    Experiment A - preformed using a spinach extract solution created by boiling 15 grams of spinach in Sulphuric acid (aq) and making it up to a 100cm3 solution by adding Sulphuric Acid (aq). [Potassium Manganate (VII) (aq)] = 0.01 mol dm-3 20 cm3 of Spinach extract solution mixed with 50cm3 Sulphuric Acid (aq)

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work