- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Investigation in to the action of the enzyme catalase.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Investigation- The action of the enzyme catalase
We are carrying out an investigation in order to find out how the concentration of the substrate Hydrogen Peroxide effects the time in which the catalase from a potato breaks down it down.
I have used my previous knowledge to predict what will happen, such as the lock and key hypothesis. I predict that when we add the crushed up potato to the hydrogen peroxide, enzymes in the potato will be released and use the lock and key hypothesis to latch on to and break down the hydrogen peroxide. The lock and key concept is that the enzymes, special protein molecules, are specially shaped to surround its substrate, enzymes are therefore very specific to what they break down. The enzyme and substrate must fit together exactly or how well the enzyme works will be affected.
In order that the enzymes do not denature we should keep the experiment at room temperature even though the optimum temperature is 37° (core body temperature). In a preliminary experiment we had these results:
Fresh Potato and hydrogen peroxide
Boiled potato and hydrogen peroxide
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- Investigation into the effects of osmosis on Potato cells
- Experiment To Investigate The Factors Affecting The Rate Of ...
- Energy content of foods
- An experiment to show osmosis in potato chips in different c...
- Hydrogen peroxide reacting with potato to produce oxygen and...
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
- Science Biology Revision Notes - Nutrition in plants and the...
- Osmosis in potato cell lab report
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student