- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Investigation into the effect of concentration on the rate of reaction between calcium carbonate and hydrochloric acid
The first 200 words of this essay...
Investigation into the effect of concentration on the rate of reaction between calcium carbonate and hydrochloric acid.
Equation: Calcium carbonate + hydrochloric acid carbon dioxide + water + calcium chloride
CaCO + HCl CO + H O + CaCl
During this reaction Carbon dioxide is formed. We measured the rate of reaction by collecting the Carbon dioxide in a gas syringe and timing how long it takes to collect 30cm of gas in the gas syringe.
Variables that Affect the Rate of Reaction:
-Concentration- if there is a higher concentration of acid then there will be a faster rate of reaction because there will be more reactant particles per unit volume, so there will therefore be more successful collisions occurring.
-Temperature- if the temperature is higher there will be a faster reaction rate. This is because the average kinetic energy of the particles will be higher and therefore the collisions will have more energy so successful collisions will increase.
-Size of chips (surface area)- If the marble chips are larger then there will be more surface area exposed and so there will be a faster reaction rate due to more
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Patterns of Behaviour (view all)
- Investigation exploring rates of reaction, using the reactio...
- Investigating the Rate of Reaction - Sodium Thiosulphate and...
- Investigate the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid a...
- Kinetic Theory of Matter Investigation
- What affects the rate of a reaction? The reaction I will be ...
- Rate of Reaction - Formation of Sulfur
- Investigating how the concentration of acid affects the rate...
- Hypothesis - I am going to be examining how much energy is t...
- Investigating the rate of reaction between hydrochloric acid...
- History of the Periodic Table
""Zoey. University Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.