- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
To find out at what concentration of sugar there's no osmosis.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Biology Coursework: Osmosis
Aim: To find out at what concentration of sugar there's no osmosis.
Background Knowledge: Osmosis is the movement of water from a region of high water concentration through a semi-permeable membrane to a region of low water concentration. Semi-permeable membranes are very thin layers of material (cell membranes are semi-permeable) which allow some things to pass through them but prevent other things from passing through, i.e. water.
Osmosis is sometimes called a special case of diffusion because the water molecules move from a high to a low concentration of water molecules.
In this case, sugar molecules are too big to pass trough the semi-permeable membrane but the water molecules aren't. The water molecules in the high concentration region will want to spread out and the only way is to go trough the semi - permeable membrane.
Planning: In this experiments I'll be using potato discs which have a semi-permeable membrane that will allow me investigate the affect of osmosis in different sugar concentrations.
Mass before (g)
Mass after (g)
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Life Processes & Cells (view all)
- Investigating Enzymes and the effects of different variables...
- Osmosis in Potatoes Lab. At which concentration of sucrose ...
- An investigation into the effects of osmosis on potato tissu...
- Digestion. The digestive system is made up of a complex ser...
- "Osmosis" - The Potato Experiment.
- Biology-2 QWC Practice Questions & Answers
- To investigate whether the concentration of substrate (starc...
- AIM: To determine the concentration of ascorbic acid in oran...
- Anatony and Physiology - cells in the human body.
- The hypothesis is the optimum pH level for the enzyme Amylas...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.