- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Describe and briefly explain the variations in religious beliefs in the British Isles today.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Religion - A2 Question - Total marks : 60 mks
Time allowed : 90 minutes
1. (a) Using material from Item A, describe and briefly explain the variations in religious beliefs in the British Isles today. (12 mks).
Ans. As Item A indicates there are considerable regional variations in religious beliefs within the British Isles and between Great Britain and the Irish Republic.
It has long been the case for example that church attendance in N.Ireland has been much higher than other regions of the U.K. - particularly England. This could be explained partially due to the significance of fundamentalism and fundamentalist denominations (eg. Free Presbyterian, Baptist etc.) in N.Ireland - which promote a literal interpretation of the Bible and are strongly opposed to liberal theological trends.
The influence of fundamentalist beliefs is particularly evident in the table in relation to the variation between G.B. and both parts of Ireland - with regard to literal 'truths' such as belief in : Life after death; Heaven; Hell; the Devil; Miracles - with much higher percentages believing in such concepts in N.Ireland and Irish Republic than in Great Britain.
Of course we should be cautious about
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- Discuss the difference between Quantitative and Qualitative ...
- Les Miserables
- I have chosen questionnaire for my primary research method. ...
- The Cultural Diversity of the Caribbean.
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.