- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Machiavelli's Theory Of The State.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Machiavelli's Theory Of The State
Niccolo Machiavelli was born in 1469 the son of a doctor of law. His family were relatively wealthy and held a prominent position in public office but his father was debarred from any office due to being classed as an insolvent debtor and this meant Machiavelli's education suffered. His father had a large library and Machiavelli taught himself by reading the books his father had at home, this was said to have "Preserved the originality of his thought" by saving him from the faults and excesses of humanistic erudition.
Florence had always regarded itself as a republic, however the Medici family who where a wealthy and prominent banking family dominated Florence for most of the 15 century. With the Medici in power Florence was an oligarch state and Machiavelli tried to gain favour with them although he had no respect for them and their way of ruling went against his ideas at that time.
Machiavelli's theory of the state to make Florence as strong as possible by: uniting the people and their customs under the rule of a single Prince; to be a great leader; to make Florence
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Should Women have equal rights to Men? Men and women should...
- Assess the Functionalist claim that the family benefits both...
- Compare and contrast the Functionalist and Marxist views of ...
- The essay will interpret inequalities in health among the su...
- The role of Women in today's society.
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.