- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Utilising a range of examples discuss to what extent individuals are shaped by society.
The first 200 words of this essay...
UTILISING A RANGE OF EXAMPLES DISCUSS TO WHAT EXTENT INDIVIDUALS ARE SHAPED BY SOCIETY
"A Society made up of individuals who were all capable of original thought would probably be unendurable"
(Mencken, H.L. Minority Report 1956)
As an individual in society we have an idea of what our identity is or should be. When meeting others, they will make various assumptions about us without our help. Factors such as age, gender and race are hard to disguise and these can be classed as our natural characteristics. Other factors such as appearance, dress, behaviour and speech are through choice, and as such can be nurtured characteristics. Whether these characteristics are individuals to choose is a matter for debate. A person can be influenced on how they appear from their family, religion or work. As a society we have a role to accept people on their own merit.
The two characteristics listed above form the two sides of the argument on how and why we act in certain ways. Some people believe that we are shaped by our NATURAL INSTINCTS. If these instincts are to be believed they can be traced back to the first creatures
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociology (view all)
- Karl Marx and Max Weber have different views upon social cla...
- EXAMINE AND ACCOUNT FOR FAMILY DIVERSITY IN THE UK
- Functionalism and Marxism are both macro and structural theo...
- I have chosen questionnaire for my primary research method. ...
- The role of Women in today's society.
- Essay on Alienation
- Youth is just a biological stage" evaluate this claim
- Marriage is no longer important. Evaluate the arguments for ...
- All crime would be solved with longer prison sentences. Eval...
- Families fail in the socialisation of children Evaluate the ...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.