- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Effects of Nasser on Egyptian Society
The first 200 words of this essay...
Outline the changes in Egyptian society as a result of Nasser's policies from 1952 - 1970.
Gamal Abdel Nasser, was the second Egyptian president. He ruled from 1956 up to 1970 and is responsible for some of the drastic changes in the Egyptian society. Some of which are caused by the introduction of a Land Reform, which limited land ownership to 200 feddans (200 acres), the reformation of the educational system, new rights for women such as the right to vote, and industrialising the country, but also the persecution of the Muslim Brotherhood and propaganda. These policies had strong impact on Egyptian society which will be examined in the following.
One of Nasser's first and probably one of his biggest domestic achievements is the Land Reform, which had its origin on the 11.September.1952 (A second one took place in 1961).Prior to the reform, less than 6% of the Egyptian population owned more than 65% of the Land. These few, but major land owners had almost autocratic control over the land and charged immensely high rents which averaged 75% of the income generated by the land.
This drove many of the small farmers and peasants into debt.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Stalin and Mao. Compare and contrast the domestic policies ...
- Why did the Second Spanish Republic Fail?
- Analyse the factors that contribute to Hitler(TM)s rise to p...
- Causation of Cold War
- Compare and Contrast the Policies of Alexander II and Alexan...
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.