- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Russia 1905 revolution
The first 200 words of this essay...
CAUSES OF THE 1905 REVOLUTION
Middle-class liberals wanted more important part in government.
Political parties like the Socialist Revolutionaries who wanted to achieve change through revolution and appealed to the interests of peasants
Peasants had to pay heavy taxes as well as redemption payments on land they had purchased.
Economic slump after 1902 led to thousands of workers losing their jobs.
Poor harvests in the years 1900 and 1902 caused starvation, disease and civil unrest.
Witte's economic reforms squeezed the least well-paid the hardest. They had to work under poor conditions, receive low wages and pay relatively high taxes.
Tsarist regime was repressive, undemocratic and out of date. The Tsar was also perceived to be incompetent due to his poor handling of the Russo-Japanese War.
The defeats inflicted on the Russian army during the Russo-Japanese War (1904-5) demoralised the army and the Russian people.
The Russo-Japanese War led to food shortages, high prices and unemployment.
Bloody Sunday, 22 January 1905 - Tsar's troops fired on peaceful demonstrators.
Nationalist minorities wanted an end to policy to Russification.
Population expansion put increased pressure on land and food supplies.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Compare and Contrast the Policies of Alexander II and Alexan...
- The Role Played by the Yalta and Potsdam Conferences in the ...
- How similar were Hitler and Stalin ?
- George Washington's Greatest Achievements
- IB History HL, Extended Notes: Russia, the Tsars, the Provis...
- Outline the reasons for the rise of Chinese Nationalism afte...
- To what extent were the social changes in Germany between 18...
- I generally disagree that "the Six Day War shocked the ...
- Analyse the reason for, and the nature of, opposition to tsa...
- Compare and contrast the causes and nature of the February a...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.