- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Russia 1905 revolution
The first 200 words of this essay...
CAUSES OF THE 1905 REVOLUTION
Middle-class liberals wanted more important part in government.
Political parties like the Socialist Revolutionaries who wanted to achieve change through revolution and appealed to the interests of peasants
Peasants had to pay heavy taxes as well as redemption payments on land they had purchased.
Economic slump after 1902 led to thousands of workers losing their jobs.
Poor harvests in the years 1900 and 1902 caused starvation, disease and civil unrest.
Witte's economic reforms squeezed the least well-paid the hardest. They had to work under poor conditions, receive low wages and pay relatively high taxes.
Tsarist regime was repressive, undemocratic and out of date. The Tsar was also perceived to be incompetent due to his poor handling of the Russo-Japanese War.
The defeats inflicted on the Russian army during the Russo-Japanese War (1904-5) demoralised the army and the Russian people.
The Russo-Japanese War led to food shortages, high prices and unemployment.
Bloody Sunday, 22 January 1905 - Tsar's troops fired on peaceful demonstrators.
Nationalist minorities wanted an end to policy to Russification.
Population expansion put increased pressure on land and food supplies.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History (view all)
- Causes of the Spanish Civil War
- Was the Tsar to blame for his own downfall?
- The End of the Cold War.
- Why did the Second Spanish Republic Fail?
- Discuss the successes and failures of Henry I as king of Eng...
- The Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World - A.W.
- How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 194...
- The Algerian War Start Date: 1954 End Date: 1962
- Aboriginal Human Rights and Canadian History
- A look at the Differing Views of Jimmy Hoffa by the Governme...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.