- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
IB SL Math Portfolio- Logarithm Bases
The first 200 words of this essay...
IB Math SL Portfolio Type 1
In its simplest terms, a logarithm is an exponent. It is an exponent needed to produce a given number from a specific base. It is written in the form loggh=j, which denotes gh=j (g to the power of h equals j).
Consider the following sequences. Write the next two terms of each sequence.
log28, log48 , log88, log168, log328, ... log648, log1288, ...
log381, log981, log2781, log8181, ... log24381, log72981, ...
log525, log2525, log12525, log62525, ... log3,12525, log15,62525, ...
logmmk, logm^2mk, logm^3mk, logm^4mk, ... logm^5mk, logm^6mk , ...
Find an expression for the nth term of each sequence. Write your expressions in the form p/q, where p and q are integers. Justify your answers using technology.
The first sequence can be otherwise written:
log2^123, log2^223 , log2^323, log2^423, log2^523, ...
Here, I noticed a pattern: the base of each logarithm is 2n. Using this knowledge and the concepts of the change of base rule and verifying my theories with a GDC calculator,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Maths (view all)
- Investigating ratios of areas and volumes
- Math IA Type 1 Circles. The aim of this task is to investig...
- Math SL Circle Portfolio. The aim of this task is to invest...
- Mathematics SL portoflio type 1(circles)
- Math SL Fish Production IA
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.