- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
A historian must combine the rigor of the scientist with the imagination of the artist. To what extent, then, can the historian be confident about his or her conclusions?
The first 200 words of this essay...
IB Theory of Knowledge Essay 2: History
Title 2: "A historian must combine the rigor of the scientist with the imagination of the artist." To what extent, then, can the historian be confident about his or her conclusions?
Thursday April 29th, 2010
When studying or learning history, will anybody ever achieve a state of absolute certainty? Is there even such a thing as certainty? The hardest part of studying history is the gathering of evidence that supports information that is being processed. This evidence is necessary to unravel information about events that have occurred in the past. Evidence is ultimately the main factor that leads to the understanding and knowledge of the occurring of an event. It plays a role in the 'difficult aspect of studying history' because there is a question of reliability and credibility of the piece of evidence. The degree of reliability is correlated to the creation of different opinions and points of views that are developed over past events. Different conclusions are made based on the different evidences presented, and even though the historians who make these conclusions believe in them, they know that absolute certainty is unrealistic. Because the evidences that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Theory of Knowledge (view all)
- TOK Essay: Using history and at least one other area of know...
- We see and understand things not as they are but as we are. ...
- Does the possession of knowledge carry ethical responsibilit...
- One definition of Knowledge is true belief based on strong e...
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of using faith as a bas...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.