- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Unseen commentary on an extract from "Killed at Resaca" by Ambrose Bierce.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Killed at Resaca by Ambrose Bierce
The excerpt is from 'Killed at Resaca' by Ambrose Bierce which was written in 1881. Given its date of publication and the knowledge that it follows the American Civil War in 1862; after an analysis of the text we can deduce that it is a work of fiction. Initially the extract positions the reader in the middle of a bloody battlefield where a valiant soldier; Herman Brayle meets his end. His death concludes the battle his comrades and his enemy honour his death, the battle had left behind a trail of bereavement of ordinary people. The narrator is delegated with Brayle's personal belongings-a Russian leather pocketbook. After this the text shifts to a different period, a time space of one year. The narrator finally inspects the pocketbook and discovers a love letter for the lieutenant, from his lover Marian Mendenhall. After his the narrator arrives to California at the home of Miss Mendenhall. The narrator hands over the honoured lieutenant's pocketbook to Miss Mendenhall, in return she cold-heartedly threw into the hearth. The extract ends with the narrator lying about the death of his lieutenant responding by saying
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
World Literature (view all)
- COMPARE THE WAYS IN WHICH IMAGERY IS USED TO BRING OUT FEMIN...
- Comparative Essay Heart of Darkness vs Apocalyspe Now
- Commentary A Different History (by Sujata Bhatt)
- Fasting Feasting. How does Anita Desai portray settings ins...
- Fasting, Feasting by Anita Dessai. Description of the main C...
- Different aspects of the work Chronicles of a Death Foretold...
- How does Barker explore the impact of war in this extract fr...
- George Orwell - Shooting an Elephant. Discursive Questions.
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn portrays the corruption of the Soviet...
- Song of Solomon: How does Toni Morrison reveal flight as a w...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.