- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
For the purpose of this reflective essay I am going to concentrate on educational disadvantage at second level and traveller education. Education Disadvantage refers to a situation whereby individuals in society derive less benefit from the education system than their peers.
It is an issue that has grown in significance in educational and social policy arenas in Ireland in recent years. It can be considered to be a factor that perpetuates intergenerational poverty. Education disadvantage is defined by the Education Act (DES, 1997b:32) as;
"The impediments to education arising from social or economic disadvantage which prevent students from deriving appropriate benefit from education in schools"
President McAleese referred to educational disadvantage for young people who "find the gates of opportunity firmly shut or who lack the insight, the support or the maturity of judgement to recognise and commit to the education and training which is on offer at this crucial stage in their lives"
In my opinion education disadvantage is a multi-dimensional problem, it is a symptom of a wider range of issues. These issues may include:
(i) Children welfare needs
(ii) Lack of family commitment in education &
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Teaching (view all)
- EXAMINE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF INCLUSIVE EDUCATION FOR THE 5- ...
- This portfolio will help to illustrate and address how the c...
- Personal reflection
- An individual written piece identifying and critiquing a cri...
- This study sets out to investigate the evolving educational ...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student