- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Using MASTAN2 to investigate the effect of applied forces on structures
- Essay length: 2688 words
- Submitted: 10/04/2009
The first 200 words of this essay...
University of Edinburgh
Computer Methods in Mechanical Engineering 3
In the construction of any type of frame structure it is necessary to investigate the effects of any loads that may be acting on the structure and how it reacts against these loads. This is very important to investigate as it determines whether or not the structure will fail or deform in a critical way. MASTAN2 is a program within MATLAB, which allows the user to create a model of the frame to be analysed and apply the loads that will be acting on it to determine important information such as the bending moments, axial forces, shear forces and deflected shape to name a few.
The tasks for this project have been split into two questions; the aims of the first question are as follows:
* Create a plane frame in MASTAN2 with the specifications detailed in the question under the full factored load (fig. 1) and perform a first order analysis
* Determine the size of the joint stiffness matrix K and its partitions KFF, KFR, KRF, KRR
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Engineering (view all)
- Members of the design team and their job roles in a construc...
- In this assignment I will be identifying and explaining the ...
- The Relationship between Technology and Society. It is widel...
- Universal Tensile Test on Mild Steel and Brass Specimens
- The purpose of this report was to analyse the cost of solar ...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.