- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Paul was born in Tarsus, c. 5 A.D., which, today, is in south-central Turkey, approximately 12 miles from the Mediterranean coast. Tarsus
- Essay length: 3735 words
- Submitted: 20/06/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
Paul's Life-Long Journey
by Michael D. Bruno
Student Number 49567
Dr. Rick Rasberry
Jacksonville DLP July 5-10, 2005
Paul was born in Tarsus, c. 5 A.D., which, today, is in south-central Turkey, approximately 12 miles from the Mediterranean coast. Tarsus was a prosperous city in the province of Cilicia and a part of the great Roman Empire. The city of Tarsus had fertile soil for agriculture and a prominent position at the south end of the Cilician Gates. It maintained an excellent shipping harbor of Rhegma, which enabled strong connections with the Levant. Tarsus was also fortunate to maintain an established university that was known for its teaching in Greek philosophy.
Paul was a Roman by birth and a Jew by lineage. In addition, Paul was from the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of Hebrews and in regards to the law, a Pharisee. "Jerome, the 4th century theologian and historian, informs us that tradition has it that Paul's family had emigrated to Tarsus from Galilee around the time the Romans conquered Palestine in 63 B.C.. Sometime later, as his family gets established in the Hellenistic city, they
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- A Critique of Descartes' Trip In and Out of Skepticism.
- ‘Unless we assume that everyone is free to make mor...
- The Motives of Foreign Aid: Ethical or Rewarding?
- Character study: Moses
- Are any of descartes' arguments for the existence of god per...
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
- The one true substance in the world it is God. How far do yo...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.