- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Name: Jousianne Propp
Subject: Theology and Ethics
1.a) The Allegory of the Cave
The Allegory of the Cave can be found in Book VII of Plato's best-known work, The Republic, a lengthy discussion on the nature of justice. It is written as a dialogue between Socrates and his apprentice Glaucon.
Plato creates the image of prisoners who have been chained inside a cave since birth. Their limbs and heads are immobilized so that their eyes are fixed to a wall opposite them. Behind the prisoners is a fire and in front of that there is a raised path, along which shapes of various artificial objects are being carried. These cast shadows on the wall. The prisoners assign names to the images they see and which they believe to be real, for this is the only reality they know.
One of the prisoners escapes and sees the fire and the people carrying the objects. He continues towards the mouth of the cave and steps outside. The sunlight blinds him and at first he can only make out dark blurry shapes which soon become bright and clear and he observes that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- Waiting for Godot - Meaningless of Life
- God Of Small Things - Significance of the title.
- What is the relationship between mind and body?
- Does John Stuart Mill's On Liberty make a well thought out a...
- Compare and contrast rationalist and empiricist approaches t...
- The Influence of Philosophy in the Roman Empire - A.W.
- A being is omnipotent if and only if it has every power that...
- What is the mind body problem? Provide details of some respo...
- Morality is the refuge of the weak. Discuss with reference t...
- The one true substance in the world it is God. How far do yo...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.