- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Walker's epistolary technique for developing the readers understanding of Celie's world.
The first 200 words of this essay...
John Diviney 130
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Walker's
epistolary technique for developing the readers
understanding of Celie's world
"You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy."
From the first sentence of 'The Color Purple' the reader can see that this is a dramatic novel. We can also divulge that it is not a very advanced society by the way of grammar and communication. We learn that this is what Alfonso, the stepfather of the protagonist, Celie, said to her after he first raped her when she was fourteen years old.
From Alfonso telling Celie this she starts to write letters to God so she can tell somebody and not let it kill her on the inside.
'The Color Purple' is a novel make up of around 90 letters, with the first half of the book being written to God, and the second half being letters communicating between Nettie and Celie.
To understand the importance of these letters we must first understand the character of Celie. She is a girl that was abused by her stepfather, and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Philosophy and Theology (view all)
- Compare and contrast rationalist and empiricist approaches t...
- The world without its greatest invention-the wheel-is a worl...
- 'Utilitarianism is the best approach to
- God Of Small Things - Significance of the title.
- Discuss the presentation of the spiritual in Tim Wintons nov...
- Abortion Ethics
- What is the strongest objection to utilitarianism? How pers...
- How should we respond to Descartes sceptical arguments?
- Title: What did Immanuel Kant think Enlightenment was? Was h...
- Questions on the dialogue of Socrates and Laches
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.