- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Article 38 of the statute of the International Court of Justice(ICJ).
The first 200 words of this essay...
INTERNATIONAL LAW AND INSTITUTIONS
NAME: JACQUELINE YEE-BING, LEE
STUDENT NUMBER: 01228801
NUMBER OF WORDS: 895
In relation to Article 38 of the statute of the International Court of Justice(ICJ), Schwarzenberger. defined; 'In order to enable the World court to apply any asserted rule of international law, it must be shown that it is the product of one, or more, of three law creating processes.'1 These processes are; treaties, international customary law, and the general principles of law recognized by civilized nations. References to judicial decisions or to the teachings of highly qualified publicist are secondary sources of international law. However, in accepting that there is a material and formal distinction between the sources of law, it is reasonable to assume that there is some form of hierarchy within the Article 38 as the sources cannot be equally important.
Treaties are of growing importance and the 'maids-of-all-work'2 in international law. Often, they resemble contracts in national system of law, but they also perform functions, which in national systems, would be carried out by Acts of Parliament. The only distinction between a 'law-making treaty' and a 'contract-treaty' is one of content.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
English Legal System (view all)
- What is the relevance of equity today?
- The right to freedom of expression is probably the most univ...
- The debate of whether there is the continued need for separa...
- What is the "Battered Women's Syndrome"? What are ...
- Explain the relationship between the common law (judge made ...
- Principles of UK constitution + express & implied repeal
- In Wades analysis, what are the arguments in favour of each ...
- English legal history - anti-slavery and the case Gregson v ...
- Identify the most significant roles performed by the trial j...
- The Governments consultation paper on the reform of Legal Ai...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student