- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Marx's views on the social function of religion
The first 200 words of this essay...
Week 1 Question 1
What does Marx think is the social function of religion? What function must a critique of religion ultimately serve?
Due: 2 April, 2009
Word Count: 1891
Marx never wrote from a theologian or religious theorist's point of view, he was a humanist with an ideology that explained the alienation of man. Marx evolved a philosophy, which fitted in with working class ideas and added to it a prophecy, which suited working class aspirations.1 Marx's philosophy on religion is neither complete nor comprehensive; however, this essay intends to provide a broad overview providing a synthesis of his key arguments and analysis of the strength and weaknesses of his viewpoint. This essay will firstly analyse the functions of religion as contemplated by Marx, specifically considering the proliferation and development of religion, the relief it offered, it use in maintaining the status quo, and ultimately with the development of communist society religion would 'wither away.' Further, the functions of a Marxist critique will be considered including feeing alienated man from the repression of religion, the fulfilment of Marx's prophecy, whether faith existed before alienation and finally the effect of restricting
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- COURT REPORT
- Company Law Essay Question on Section 172 of the Companies A...
- Victimology: In what respects, if any, does radical victimol...
- BANKING LAW ASSIGNMENT
- Roman Law- Contract Law. Gaius is discussing the contract r...
- Cyber- Crime and Information Compromise. What does the notio...
- Aviation Law Case - Jack and the hiring of a light aircraft.
- Lessig argued that those who assume that cyberspace is by it...
- Harassment (bullying) is a major online issue and one which ...
- THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LAW & JUSTICE: A PHILOSOPHICA...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.