- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Preparation of alum from scrap aluminium
The first 200 words of this essay...
Experiment 3 - The preparation of alum from scrap aluminium
30 August 2010
The recovery of aluminium from scrap aluminium through its conversion to potash alum (KAl(SO4)2·12H2O) was investigated. It was found that a final percentage yield of 76% was obtained. In addition a final yield of 9.00g was yielded.
Aluminium, because of its low density, high tensile strength and resistance and resistance to corrosion, is widely used for the manufacture of aeroplanes, automobiles, lawn furniture as well as for aluminium cans. Being a good conductor of electricity, it is used for transmission of electricity. Aluminium is also used for making utensils. The recycling of aluminium cans and other aluminium products is a very positive contribution to saving our natural resources. Most of the recycled aluminium is melted and recast into other aluminium metal products or used in the production of various aluminium compounds, the most common of which are the alums.1 Alum is a salt that is a combination of an alkali metal, such as sodium, and a trivalent metal, such as aluminium.2 & 3 Alums are double sulphates having a general
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Chemistry (view all)
- Intermolecular forces. In our experiment we want to find out...
- Investigate physical and chemical properties of known and un...
- Determining the concentration of copper(II) ions
- Identifying unknown sample using test of functional group an...
- Lewis Acid-Base, Molecular Modeling and Isotopic Labeling. T...
- Determination of the density of an unknown liquid
- SN1 Reaction: Preparation of Cyclohexyl Chloride
- Copper Penny Lab Report - measuring density.
- Forensic Chemistry - Ion Selective Electrode. The objective...
- The objectives of this experiment are to synthesis 1-bromobu...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student