- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
A Sociological Definition of Health and Illness
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Healthcare and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Definition of Health and Illness.
This essay will begin by discussing the different definitions of health and illness and will also discuss and enable the individual to understand why there are many diffrent definitions of health. It will give a clear defintion and evaluate views of health and illness in different societies.
According to the World Health Organisation "health is a complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease and infirmity"
(Taylor et al, 1995)
Definitions of health and illness vary, they cannot be defined in terms of anatomical, physiological or even mental attributes. Health is defined as the ability for the individual to function in a way which is acceptable to the group from which they belong.
(Davey et al, 1984)
The dictionary defines the word health as: "the condition of the body and the degree to which it is free from illness, or the state of being well"
(www.cambridge.org.uk accessed 28/1/07)
Good health is a mixture of physical, mental, emotional and social wellbeing.
Health and illness can be defined in many different ways, the holistic concept of health would be viewed as
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Healthcare (view all)
- This essay will focus on inter-professional working in healt...
- Health promotion is an important element of the government's...
- Health promotion. This essay will discuss the definitions of...
- Discuss the potential benefits and difficulties associated w...
- Unit 10 care practice and provision
- Patient care pathways for patients with malignant disease - ...
- D240 TMA-02 compare and contrast cbt and mindfulness in und...
- Presentation On Managing Self-Harm Amongst Mental Health Ser...
- Select two of the three articles that you found for Activity...
- Drawing on the accounts by Lyn and Harry in Learning Guide 5...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.