- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Internal and External Conflicts in The Odyssey
- Essay length: 1505 words
- Submitted: 24/10/2012
- Awarding body: Not known/Not applicable
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Classics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
ï»¿Ahmed El Wakeel 25/4/2012
Internal and External Conflicts
Through the breath-taking and mesmerizing events of the Odyssey, the great Homer succeeds into placing not only Odysseus, but also his men and some other secondary characters in many external and internal factors. These conflicts may be portrayed as many different things, such as, for example, battles, lust and temptation or humiliation.
First off, there are a lot of internal conflicts in the Odyssey that contribute to affecting the plot and the future of how Odysseus the hero will manage to return to his homeland with glory in the palms of his hands. Internal conflicts are portrayed as a conflict between one and oneself, for example the vacillation in taking decisions, worrying, and having lack of knowledge of knowing what to do.
Disregarding the obvious fact that Odysseus is the main character in the Odysseys, he is not the only character that is involved in either internal or external conflicts. Regarding internal conflicts, there were many characters that encountered such conflicts.
The first of the characters which encounters an internal conflict is one of Odysseus's men; he is Eurylochus.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Odysseus - admirable character
- What is the role of the chorus in "Oedipus the King&quo...
- Role of Greek Gods in The Iliad.
- Discuss the Greek concept of hero and Roman concept of hero ...
- In what way if at all does Herodotus overemphasize the role ...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.