- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Odyssey by Homer
The first 200 words of this essay...
THENE ASKS ZEUS TO HELP OUT ODYSSEUS. HE SENDS THE MESSENGER god, Hermes, to Calypso's island, Ogygia where Odysseus has been for seven years. He tells her that she must let Odysseus go. Calypso agrees but points out the fact that the male gods can have mistresses and it is unfair that the female one's cannot have lovers.
She finds Odysseus weeping (very different to his description of character in Book 4 by Menelaus and Helen) and longing for Ithaca. This is a very positive character trait as the Greeks placed a lot of emphasis on family. She tells him that he may go. He first thinks that it is a trick, which shows his shrewd nature. She offers him immortality he would stay with her, as her beauty is superior to Penelope's. Odysseus, not wanting to upset and anger a goddess, says that it is not so much Penelope he longs for but Ithaca. He makes her swear an oath that she will not harm him.
Homer has shown Calypso as a much more human goddess. She shows human feelings and is warm and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Odysseus - admirable character
- Discuss the Greek concept of hero and Roman concept of hero ...
- Aeneas can be considered an excellent hero. Discuss.
- The role of the Chorus in Oedipus Rex
- "Justice is a theme of all great literature" Is ju...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.