- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
'Explore the ways in which Shakespeare presents the theme of love throughout the Twelfth Night'.
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Explore the ways in which Shakespeare presents the theme of love throughout the Twelfth Night'
'Twelfth Night' is one of Shakespeare's most popular comedies. While there are many aspects to the play, they all revolve around the theme of love. The idea of love appears throughout and helps create an atmosphere of mystery and confusion. The dramatic irony directly links to the main theme and is entertaining to the audience. The play features a love triangle between the three main characters, this triangle evolves and the relationships grow. This also adds to the entertainment value and exhibits Shakespeare's stagecraft.
The play opens with Count Orsino's over zealous approach to love;
'If music be the food of love, play on'
This dramatic link between love and music highlights passion and infatuation. Orsino's version of love is very powerful and he compares it to the power of music. Shakespeare uses a character that makes these exaggerated comparisons and uses hyperbole in order to underline his assumptions about love and how easily it can be confused with other emotions. Orsino appears very moody in the opening scene and this characteristic features throughout. His mood is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Twelfth Night (view all)
- Discuss the dramatic significance of Feste in Twelfth Night.
- Twelfth Night is a feminist play. Discuss.
- Cruelty in "Twelfth Night" - an examination of Sha...
- How does Shakespeare explore the theme of deception and self...
- Love in 'Twelfth Night'.
- The play Twelfth Night portrays a very good example of loyal...
- Compare and Contrast Viola and Sebastian from "Twelfth ...
- Fools and folly are widely used in comedy to create humour T...
- Twelfth Night. To what extent do Act 2 scene 5 and Act 3 sce...
- How does Malvolio connect to disguise and deceit in Act 2 Sc...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.