- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
How are issues of personal dignity dramatically portrayed in Death of a Salesman?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Arthur Miller and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Tragic feeling is evoked in us when we are in the presence of a character who is
ready to lay down his life, if need be, to secure... his sense of personal dignity." How
are issues of personal dignity dramatically portrayed in Death of a Salesman?
Willy Loman, central protagonist in Miller's Death of a Salesman, clings - above all else - to his
personal dignity. But personal dignity is not only shown through Willy but also explored by Miller through
the other characters and specific events and actions throughout the play. These are portrayed dramatically
from the setting of scenes in Willy's mind, to the tension between father and son, and in this essay I will
look at Miller's different portrayals of personal dignity. But what is personal dignity? It is defined as "the
quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect;" or, alternatively something that comes from "a high
office or rank". And 'tragic feeling' is defined as "mournful, melancholy or pathetic or dreadful, disastrous
or fatal". In what way are these two concepts similar? In short, they're opposites. Dignity is a positive
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Miller (view all)
- In the light of critical opinions discuss Millers exploratio...
- Death Of A Salesman, Willy Loman analysis
- Death of a salesman - Why did Willy commit suicide? What did...
- The Relationship between father and son in 'All my Sons'
- Quotes from All My Sons
- Explore the ways in which Miller uses symbolism to emphasise...
- Is it fair to say that Beatrice is a tragic victim in A View...
- How does Miller force us to judge all the characters in Act ...
- To what extent is Willy Loman betrayed in the play Death of ...
- To what extent are symbols used to convey the tragic death o...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.