- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
'Shakespeare has not single attitude to war in this play' - Henry V - Discuss
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Shakespeare has not single attitude to war in this play' - Discuss
In Shakespeare's play, 'Henry V', war is presented in two ways, firstly it is presented as a very noble enterprise, but on the other side of things it is presented as a destructive and terrifying thing.
The first view that the play takes is the view that war is a very noble enterprise.
The chorus talks about how 'All the youth of England are on fire'
This shows how all of the young men are preparing for war as they gather their equipment and prepare mentally and physically for the war. This line shows how much they are eager to go to war. 'Now thrive the armourers, and honour's thought/ reigns solely in the breast of every man.' This line shows that the armourers are getting the soldiers ready to fight and it also shows how the soldiers are proud to be going to war because they have 'honour in their breast'.
The picture that war is a very noble thing becomes clearer as the play infolds. The Chorus, again, talks of the 'brave fleet' and the 'silken streamers'
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- Choose 3 poems by Wilfred Owen that look at different aspect...
- 'Base Details' by Siegfried Sassoon Miste analysis
- "Attack" by Sassoon critical analysis
- Dulce et Decorum Est Critical Essay.
- Analysis of Does It Matter? by Siegfried Sassoon
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.