- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Tempest- The Significance of the love story between Ferdinand and Miranda in the play as a whole
Are you in the right place?
Jump to The Tempest and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Examine the significance of the love story between Miranda and Ferdinand in the play as a whole.
On one level Miranda and Ferdinand can actually be seen as 'insignificant' in The Tempest, because they are such a 'clichéd' romantic couple. So their actions and speeches in the play are fairly limited, because of the simple and very 'typical', "love story" and also because they are both young and naïve and so their plot is quite static. On the other hand they can also be seen as vitally significant in The Tempest because they are one of the components that contribute to the main theme of the play, "Order", and to many of the other themes surrounding this main theme, such as the nurture/nature debate, Elizabethan hierarchy, fate, love, reconciliation etc...
All these themes relate to or are the build up of the 'mother' theme, order.
Prospero's plan is to restore 'order' following the injustice done to him and Miranda. To do this he needs to restore himself as duke of Milan but also bring harmony between the people with whom he has had conflict with i.e. Alonso. The love between Miranda and Ferdinand is the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
The Tempest (view all)
- How does The Tempest reflect the concequences for various ch...
- How does Shakespeare present Caliban in TheTempest ?
- Explore how Shakespeare presents the theme of power in "...
- Explore the theme of rightful authority in The Tempest
- The Importance of Magic in The Tempest
- In "Titus Andronicus", William Shakespeare has use...
- AQA ENGLISH LITERATURE B AS LEVEL recreative coursework on T...
- European sense of superiority goes along with the ill attitu...
- The Tempest raises questions that were just beginning to be ...
- In this essay, I will be comparing the soliloquies and aside...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.