- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What impression of war and history does Tennyson give in The charge of the Light Brigade?
The first 200 words of this essay...
What Impression of war and history does Tennyson give in The Charge of the Light Brigade? (800-1000 Words)
In my view Tennyson gives the impression of war being very noble, heroic, honourable yet also dark and those members of the Light Brigade participating in war are doomed and condemned. He also conveys a period of history when no soldier would disagree with, or dare resist an order whatever the consequences. It was a time when it was honourable to die in war, for your country, and for your King.
Tennyson gives the impression of war being noble and heroic because of the references to the Light Brigade. Constant references and praise is conveyed to The Light Brigade making a charge in battle. Tennyson views this as the bravest act of a soldier in war. An example of this is "Forward the Light Brigade! Charge for the guns!" which highlights the bravery and valour of the charge, especially with the use of exclamation marks, which give the feeling of strength and energy, zest and life to the charge. This line, (Forward the Light Brigade!), is the one of the most frequent lines in the poem
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
War Poetry (view all)
- Analysis of 'Strange Meeting' by Wilfred Owen.
- Compare the presentation of the psychological effects of war...
- Compare and Contrast the Two War Poems -'Dulce Et Decorum Es...
- The causes of world war one
- Why did the First World War affect the people of Britain in ...
- Thomas has a very distinctive eye for the miniature of natur...
- Explore Owens Use of Metaphor in Mental Cases
- In the elegy "strange Meeting ", Owen brings the h...
- How does Thomas present war in "As the Team's Head Bras...
- The theme of war and destruction is presented through the po...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.