- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Why Does Hamlet Delay?
The first 200 words of this essay...
WHY DOES HAMLET DELAY?
Is it possible to take reasonable, effective and purposeful action? In Hamlet, the question of how to act is affected not only by logical considerations, such as the need for certainty, but also by emotional, ethical, and psychological factors. This in turn affects how the revenge is carried out.
If we view Hamlet as a 'real' person in the context of Elsinore then one of the reasons why Hamlet delays taking revenge on Claudius may be because he needs to test the veracity of the Ghost. The Ghost tells Hamlet of his murder and demands revenge when he says "Revenge his foul and most unnatural murder" in Act I scene iv. Hamlet's initial reaction is to act quickly,
"Haste me to know't, that I, with wings as swift
As meditation or the thoughts of love,
May sweep to my revenge"
whether it may be because he disapproves of Claudius marrying his mother or through a sense of duty and obligation. However by Act II scene i he expresses his feelings of doubt about the Ghost: "the spirit I may
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hamlet (view all)
- Discuss Hamlet's attitude to death and the afterlife, giving...
- How does Shakespeare use language to describe Claudius as a ...
- How does Shakespeare present Hamlet's madness throughout the...
- Compare and contrast the approaches of Hamlet and Laertes to...
- Through its portrayal of human experience, Shakespeares Haml...
- Hamlet's Procrastination : a Study on his Failure to Act
- An Analysis of Hamlets Philosophy of Life and Death in Willi...
- Show how Shakespeare presents a disordered and corrupt state...
- The tragedy of Hamlet is that as a character of an Elizabeth...
- Why does Hamlet still matter?
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.