- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
'The Making of Modern Russia', 1856-1964.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Thursday, 3rd October 2003 Jad Salfiti
A2 History Coursework: Unit 5c 'The Making of Modern Russia', 1856-1964
a) To what extent do these sources agree that Russian government policy on agriculture consistently failed and that peasants resisted it under both Tsarist and Communist rule?
Source1 concerns the emancipation statute of 1861. Western historian Ronald Hingley cites the introduction of redemption payments "serfs resented receiving too little land for their needs" this undermines the fundamental aims of the policy. Source 1 makes reference to how the Mir was in charge of paying the redemption payments for the whole village. Hingley points out that "individual peasants were bound in various ways to their village communes"; peasants were detained in their villages until the payments were received. Hingley notes the creation of Special Courts delegated to discipline unruly peasants "the flogging of recalcitrant peasants" this is evidence of peasant rebellion, mainly due to the fact they were in a poorer position after emancipation than they were before the policy was introduced. Source 1 suggests agricultural policies were a failure, and provoked peasant uprising, due to the hope the emancipation edict gave peasants of being free.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Production - Location & Change (view all)
- Describe what is meant by Industry
- The Scott Report and the Making of the Modern Countryside - ...
- There are three different sectors within business. They are:...
- Summarise the advantages and disadvantages of extracting Ala...
- Is deindustrialisation in the U.K an undesirable process?
- With reference to located examples, explain how the exploita...
- with reference to 2 contrasting countries describe and expla...
- This essay is going to reflect changes on what I remember of...
- Case Study of Rural Rebranding by the Forestry Commission in...
- Oil and Gas industry in Kazakhstan
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.