- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Cognitive Explanations of Addiction.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Cognitive Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Cognitive Explanations of Addiction. (25)
The cognitive approach states that negative behaviour is caused by faulty thought processes by the person. It focuses more on why the behaviour started and more specifically why a person may come to rely on a drug or behaviour when in some cases using the drug can cause more harm than dealing with the problems they are trying to hide from. In areas it also over laps with the behavioural approach as the cognitive behavioural; here it concedes that faulty thinking can be learnt often through vicarious learning. There are three main theories contained within the cognitive model these are; the self medication model, the rational choice theory and the expectancy theory.
In 2002 Gelkopf developed the self medication model; this states that individuals use drugs to treat psychological problems. He also said that the drug a person took what carefully chosen, for example a person smoking to relieve stress or anxiety. Smokers then persist in their behaviour because they have the impression that the drug, cigarettes, are working. Cigarettes have an instant effect on stress as it stops the withdrawal symptoms the individual would have been experiencing. The cigarettes
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Cognitive Psychology (view all)
- Memory.This experiment studies the effects that organised an...
- 'Organisation in Memory'.
- Describe and evaluate at least two theories of forgetting.
- "An experiment to see the effect of chunking on short-t...
- PERCEPTIONS ON COUNSELLING
- Explanations of disorders of memory PY4
- Research into memory and forgetting has found evidence that ...
- Alternatives to the multi store model of memory.
- Outline the cognitive explanation of depression
- Psychology Describe and Evaluate the mulitstore model of me...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.