- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Discuss Piaget's theory of cognitive development
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss Piaget's theory of cognitive development (9+16 marks)
The first comprehensive theory detailing cognitive development in children was proposed by Jean Piaget. His theory is inherently biological in approach, i.e. mainly a consequence of maturation and development of innate structures. Piaget suggested that intelligence depends on these innate structures being able to acquire and store knowledge. He was interested in how children learn and adapt to the world, suggesting for adaptation to occur, there must be constant interaction between the child and the world. This happens through the two key processes of accommodation and assimilation. Whereby the individual adjusts to the environment by using existing schemas, assimilation, or creates new schemas because new information cannot be assimilated, accommodation.
Piaget's theory consists of four main stages of cognitive development, which he states all children pass through. In regard to testing this stage theory, he was sceptical about the value of the typical experimental approach based on strict use of methods. Instead, he preferred a less structured and formal approach. He used the clinical method, in which children are questioned informally to reveal the nature of their understanding of problems. Piaget focused very much on describing the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Developmental Psychology (view all)
- What have been the major challenges to Piaget's theory of co...
- Bowlby's Attachment Theory
- The five major perspectives in Psychology and their main str...
- Compare and contrast two of the main approaches to personali...
- How current provision and practice is influenced by the work...
- Outline and evaluate Piagets theory of cognitive development...
- Sibling Rivalry
- Introduction to Psychology
- Jean Piaget and his revolutionary approach to understanding ...
- AQA A2 Psychology Unit 3 Relationships: Influence of Childho...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.