- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Discuss Piaget's theory of cognitive development
The first 200 words of this essay...
Discuss Piaget's theory of cognitive development (9+16 marks)
The first comprehensive theory detailing cognitive development in children was proposed by Jean Piaget. His theory is inherently biological in approach, i.e. mainly a consequence of maturation and development of innate structures. Piaget suggested that intelligence depends on these innate structures being able to acquire and store knowledge. He was interested in how children learn and adapt to the world, suggesting for adaptation to occur, there must be constant interaction between the child and the world. This happens through the two key processes of accommodation and assimilation. Whereby the individual adjusts to the environment by using existing schemas, assimilation, or creates new schemas because new information cannot be assimilated, accommodation.
Piaget's theory consists of four main stages of cognitive development, which he states all children pass through. In regard to testing this stage theory, he was sceptical about the value of the typical experimental approach based on strict use of methods. Instead, he preferred a less structured and formal approach. He used the clinical method, in which children are questioned informally to reveal the nature of their understanding of problems. Piaget focused very much on describing the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Developmental Psychology (view all)
- Describe the main theoretical models of child abuse.(
- The Theme of Ethics in Psychological Research making referen...
- An Introduction to Learning Styles and Methods
- Define Psychology using four perspectives; Psychoanalytical,...
- Behaviourist Perspective
- Outline and evaluate Piagets theory of cognitive development...
- Sibling Rivalry
- Introduction to Psychology
- Jean Piaget and his revolutionary approach to understanding ...
- AQA A2 Psychology Unit 3 Relationships: Influence of Childho...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.