- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Outline and evaluate the working memory model. (12 marks) UPDATED
The first 200 words of this essay...
ï»¿Outline and evaluate the working memory model. (12 marks)
The working memory model has three separate components. The central executive system allocates attention to different inputs and monitoring the operation of the other two components. The phonological loop has two sub-components, the articulatory control system, where information is rehearsed subvocally, and the phonological store, where speech input is held for a very brief duration. The third component, the visuo-spatial sketchpad deals with visual and spatial information coming either direct from the senses, or retrieved from long-term memory. The fourth component is the episodic buffer which acts as a store for visual and acoustic data.
The different components of the working memory model are well supported by research evidence. For example Bunge et al. (2000) found that the same parts of the brain were active during reading and recalling tasks, but were more active when participants had to perform two attentional tasks at the same time than when these were performed sequentially (evidence for the central executive). However, much of the key evidence for this model comes from the study of brain-damaged individuals, where it is impossible to make `before and after` comparisons, thus limiting the validity of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Cognitive Psychology (view all)
- Outline and Evaluate the Multi Store Model of Memory.
- The cognitive perspective in psychology is often used to exp...
- Outline the multi store model of memory with evidence to sup...
- Define short-term memory and describe the main factors that ...
- Trace Decay Theory
- Outline and evaluate the multi-store model of memory. (12 ma...
- How would you define psychology?
- Evaluate 3 Approaches to treating Mental Disorders: Psychody...
- Describe and Evaluate Research by E.Loftus into Eye Witness ...
- Outline and evaluate the behavioural explanation of psychopa...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.