- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Outline and evaluate the working memory model. (12 marks) UPDATED
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Cognitive Psychology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
ï»¿Outline and evaluate the working memory model. (12 marks)
The working memory model has three separate components. The central executive system allocates attention to different inputs and monitoring the operation of the other two components. The phonological loop has two sub-components, the articulatory control system, where information is rehearsed subvocally, and the phonological store, where speech input is held for a very brief duration. The third component, the visuo-spatial sketchpad deals with visual and spatial information coming either direct from the senses, or retrieved from long-term memory. The fourth component is the episodic buffer which acts as a store for visual and acoustic data.
The different components of the working memory model are well supported by research evidence. For example Bunge et al. (2000) found that the same parts of the brain were active during reading and recalling tasks, but were more active when participants had to perform two attentional tasks at the same time than when these were performed sequentially (evidence for the central executive). However, much of the key evidence for this model comes from the study of brain-damaged individuals, where it is impossible to make `before and after` comparisons, thus limiting the validity of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Cognitive Psychology (view all)
- Outline the multi store model of memory with evidence to sup...
- Outline and Evaluate the Multi Store Model of Memory.
- Describe and Evaluate the Working Memory Model (WMM)
- Define short-term memory and describe the main factors that ...
- Outline & Evaluate the psychodynamic model of abnormalit...
- How would you define psychology?
- Evaluate 3 Approaches to treating Mental Disorders: Psychody...
- Describe and Evaluate Research by E.Loftus into Eye Witness ...
- Outline and evaluate the behavioural explanation of psychopa...
- Explanations of disorders of memory PY4
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.