- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Relationship dissolution - Summary of Lee's findings and compare with Duck's
The first 200 words of this essay...
Summary of Lee's findings and compare with Duck's - use other research evidence.
Early research in the area of relationship dissolution tended to focus limitedly on the statistics of breakdowns rather than the actual process. More recently, psychologists have begun to look into the specific causes and characteristics of relationships that failed. One of the most well-known models of this topic is the five-staged model of dissolution by Lee (1984). Through a survey of 112 romantic breakups, Lee proposed five distinct stages leading to relationship ending. These proceed from Dissatisfaction to Exposure of this dissatisfaction, Negotiating, attempting Resolution of the problem and finally Termination of the relationship. Lee found that Exposure of dissatisfaction and Negotiating are the most exhaustive of the five stages. Couples went straight from the first to the last stage reported having less intimacy, even when the relationship was satisfactory, than those whose journey from D to T was prolonged.
Lee's stage model of dissolution is not the only one: Duck (1999) research also led to a stage model. In the first stage, called the breakdown phase, one of the partner gets unhappy about the relationship. Second stage, labelled the intrapsychic phase- the dissatisfied
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Is Psychology a Science?
- Outline and evaluate deviation in social norms as a means to...
- Describe and discuss ethical and methodological issues which...
- Describe and Evaluate two or more explanations of the pro-so...
- Using research evidence, explain conformity and obedience
- Psychology AQA: Discuss one or more social psychological exp...
- Discuss research into conformity - notes on Jenness, Asch , ...
- Outline ways in which psychologists have dealt with ethical ...
- Milgram, Hoffling and Zimbardo. Critically Consider the Psy...
- Outline and evaluate 2 theories of relationship formation
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.