- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Developmental Needs of Children.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Developmental Needs of Children
Middle childhood (ages of approximately 6-10 years) is a period of time when children enter the larger culture (primarily through schooling) and develop the intellectual and social skills they need to function effectively outside their family environment.1 Children spend more and more time with non-family members, including peers and teachers. They spend less time under supervision of parents, more under supervision of teachers and other adults, such as coaches, youth group leaders, or teachers. Consequently, they spend more time with peers outside the immediate influence of parents and become more concerned with social expectations of peers and adults. With increased freedom, children feel greater demands to be "good," show respect, and accommodate to social demands of situations, such as the classroom or non-familial social settings. With increasing social experience and the development of new intellectual skills, children:
* Master fundamental skills considered important by culture, such as reading and arithmetic;
* Develop self-awareness, such as knowing how to go about learning;
* Develop skills in consciously planning, coordinating, and evaluating progress, and modifying plans, based on self-evaluation;
* Develop abilities to reflect on themselves and understand that others have
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Developmental Psychology (view all)
- Compare and contrast two of the main approaches to personali...
- What have been the major challenges to Piaget's theory of co...
- Piaget's theory of children's cognitive development
- CHILD ABUSE, CHILDHOOD & HISTORY
- Outline and evaluate the evolutionary theory of attachment.
- Outline and evaluate research into cross-cultural variations...
- Outline one cross-cultural study into the development of per...
- Psychology Controversy essay, Nature Vs Nurture PY4
- Self Concept - With Positive and Negative Examples
- Outline & Evaluate Research Into Attachment
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.