- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
To investigate what if participants were exposed to normative social influence in a solution were there could be no doubt about the correct answer to a question? How would they conform?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Conformity- Research Sheet
Aim- To investigate what if participants were exposed to normative social influence in a solution were there could be no doubt about the correct answer to a question? How would they conform?
Procedures- Asch designed a simple, straightforward and unambiguous task. Participants were presented with two cards. On one card was a single 'standard' line; on the other were three ' comparison' lines. Participants were asked to judge which of the comparison lines was equal in length to the standard line. Various pairs of cards were used.
* Controlled- a controlled group of 37 participants were given the task. A control group is used for comparison with the experimental group. The factors expected to influence the experimental group's behaviour - in this case pressure to conform- are removed. The participants were simply asked to judge the comparison lines without any social pressure to conform to the judgments made by other people. Thirty-five members of the control group made no errors, one made a single error and one made two errors. This indicates that the task was straightforward and unambiguous.
* Experimental- there was only one participant, the rest were
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Social Psychology (view all)
- Is Psychology a Science?
- Outline the strengths and weaknesses of the social approach ...
- Using research evidence, explain conformity and obedience
- Pro and Anti Social Behaviour
- Outline and evaluate the theory of deindividuation
- Psychology AQA: Discuss one or more social psychological exp...
- Discuss research into conformity - notes on Jenness, Asch , ...
- Outline ways in which psychologists have dealt with ethical ...
- Milgram, Hoffling and Zimbardo. Critically Consider the Psy...
- Outline and evaluate 2 theories of relationship formation
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.