- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
‘The mass media promotes gender stereotypes.’
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Research Proposal
'The mass media promotes gender stereotypes.'
I have chosen to research whether the statement, 'The mass media promotes gender stereotypes' has any basis in reality. I believe this research has strong sociological implications because the way in which society perceives groups ultimately affects how these groups are treated and this issue could reach further than gender it could also affect topics such as poverty. I am interested in this area of research because there has been coverage of media effects in the news recently and I have become aware that the media is a part of everyday life and people can find themselves unaware of its effects and control upon them.
Contexts and concepts -
The first relevant source is a BBC news article entitled 'Platinum blondes are labelled as dumb'; research chronicled in the article concluded that particularly men but also women still believed in the dumb blonde stereotype. Further more it was found that it was likely the people involved were not aware they were making this judgement; it was determined that this stereotypical judgement had emerged through the development of film,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Media (view all)
- Assess the effects of mass media on popular culture.
- The issue of media ownership is a complex one and therefore,...
- Media and the representation of Youth Culture
- How does media impact on our daily life?
- Censorship is necessary to protect the public
- Do Video Games Develop Important Skills For Me?
- Media and The Sexualization of Young Girls
- To what extent does the Media affect body image in teens and...
- Gender relationships in "Barbie Girl" by Aqua
- Television and How it Affects Society
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.