- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
‘The mass media promotes gender stereotypes.’
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Research Proposal
'The mass media promotes gender stereotypes.'
I have chosen to research whether the statement, 'The mass media promotes gender stereotypes' has any basis in reality. I believe this research has strong sociological implications because the way in which society perceives groups ultimately affects how these groups are treated and this issue could reach further than gender it could also affect topics such as poverty. I am interested in this area of research because there has been coverage of media effects in the news recently and I have become aware that the media is a part of everyday life and people can find themselves unaware of its effects and control upon them.
Contexts and concepts -
The first relevant source is a BBC news article entitled 'Platinum blondes are labelled as dumb'; research chronicled in the article concluded that particularly men but also women still believed in the dumb blonde stereotype. Further more it was found that it was likely the people involved were not aware they were making this judgement; it was determined that this stereotypical judgement had emerged through the development of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Media (view all)
- Explain and briefly evaluate why high culture is seen as sup...
- Assess sociological explanations of the relationship between...
- 'Society affects how people perceive themselves, Body Image ...
- The Media is the most effective agency of socialisation. Dis...
- Marketisation of education
- How Media, Advertising and Celebrity Culture Affects Female ...
- Do Video Games Develop Important Skills For Me?
- Media and The Sexualization of Young Girls
- To what extent does the Media affect body image in teens and...
- Gender relationships in "Barbie Girl" by Aqua
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.