- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Discussing race and ethnicity.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Issues in regards to race and ethnicity are not uncommon in today's society. Race being the term used to distinguish a particular population of humans from other populations in regards to their physical traits, and ethnicity focuses on the past ties of a person rather than the way they present themselves in the modern day. Such notions impact the aspects of the entire world including the way people categorized into those groups are educated. Some common elements of racism include stereotyping, prejudice and ethnocentrism. As far as educational outcomes are concerned, certain curricula in the education system is culturally biased such as Senior Authority English and the QCS examination.
Ethnic groups such as Aborigines, Pacific Islanders and Chinese all come from their own unique cultural backgrounds. Due to this people from these said groups will all have their own values, morals and beliefs in regards to all areas of life. Pacifica students, for example, value family over educational outcomes. Emphasis in western cultures is different to this in that a higher value is given to education and the outcomes that people from those groups achieve. This family pressure on ethnic people would be a significant
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociological Differentiation & Stratification (view all)
- Identify current patterns of ill health and inequality in th...
- Outline and Assess Whether stratification is either inevitab...
- Biomedical and the socio-medical models of health
- health inequalities and socio-economic class
- Poverty and Health
- Assess the view that the education system exists mainly to s...
- Outline and asses the view that new social movements express...
- Biological and Social Constructionist explanations of Gender...
- Assess the relation between sociology and social policy
- Feminism: A Sociological Overview
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.