- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Drawing on examples from your reading, explore the medias impact on the fear of crime. Consider the strengths and limitations of the labelling perspective towards understanding the significance of this impact.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Drawing on examples from your reading, explore the media's impact on the 'fear' of crime. Consider the strengths and limitations of the labelling perspective towards understanding the significance of this impact.
The media has, unquestionably, an impact on the fear of crime. The extent to which they have the impact can lack clarity as it is difficult to analyse the impact of media and this 'continues to occupy both popular and academic discussion' (Mark Banks, Crime &media&culture, spaces of (in)security: media and fear of crime in a local context, manchester met uni,UK) Many studies have been carried out to try and determine the extent of the media (insert cases here) but no consistent unambiguous result has been found. The extent to which the media has an impact on the fear of crime depends on the context in which it is delivered, on whom it is delivered to, what the message was and where the message came from, i.e. The Guardian newspaper could be viewed as more reliable than The Sun newspaper.
Labelling is one of the activities the media revel in when it comes to a widespread scandal, disaster or major event. Constantly items are selected by the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Crime & Deviance (view all)
- Sociological Theories on Crime and Deviance
- The chivalry thesis claims that women will be treated more l...
- Assess sociological explanations of social class differences...
- REVISION - CRIME, PUNISHMENT AND PROTEST INTRODUCTION Crime,...
- Evaluate the Functionalist explanations of Deviance.
- Analyse explanations of crime and deviance and explain the i...
- Assess the view that cults and sects are fringe organisation...
- The purpose of this report is to evaluate and reflect upon m...
- Is there a single definitive policing model appropriate to p...
- Are our streets safer now? Crime rates in Scotland.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.