- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
How is it possible that a tiny, carbon based stone could effect the lives of millions upon millions of Africans, as well as the economies of numerous African nations so drastically?
The first 200 words of this essay...
How is it possible that a tiny, carbon based stone could effect the lives of millions upon millions of Africans, as well as the economies of numerous African nations so drastically? The answer lies within human nature and our infatuation with these so called, "valuable," pieces of Earth. To own a diamond is the dream of countless people
through out the world, but what most are not aware of, is the price that could have been paid to bring the gem to their hands. Innumerable innocent civilians have lost their lives; just so that special someone can look good for the night. Not all diamonds that come out of Africa are from areas in conflict, but it is estimated that up to 10-15% of the world's rough diamonds do. (NY Times) This is a scary statistic that should make a potential diamond purchasers think before he or she buys.
In many parts of Africa, diamonds are the only means of industry. There are mines controlled by the governments, rebel groups and at the same time poor and desperate Africans dig through rocks in streams, hoping to find that one diamond that will feed their families for
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Economy & Economics (view all)
- Distinction Between Economic Growth and Economic Development
- Economic growth is a necessary but not sufficient condition ...
- The impact of economies and diseconomies of scale Tesco face
- Pest Analysis of Sony
- How do economic systems solve the problem of scarcity?
- IGCSE AND GCSE Economics Units 1 and 2 Notes - markets and t...
- Describe the Advantages of a Market Economy
- Exchange Rates and their Effect on Morocco Report.
- The Potential Impact of Government Policies on My Business P...
- China and Economic growth, Case Study
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.