- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Examine how the women in two stories are treated by the men in their lives.
The first 200 words of this essay...
March 2002 Keri Roberts
Examine how the women in two stories are treated by the men in their lives
Two short fiction stories which show how women are treated by the men in their lives are The Melancholy Hussar of the German Legion and Weekend. The first story is a pre-1914 story called 'The Melancholy Hussar of the German Legion' and it is written by Thomas Hardy. The story is set in 1801 and it was published in 1891.The other story is a more modern story as it is set in the late twentieth century and was published in 1981. It is called 'Weekend' and it is written by a feminist writer called Fay Weldon.
The main theme of The Melancholy of the German Legion is how a woman is treated with little independence and how the main female character, Phyllis Grove, tries to find her own freedom by forming a strong friendship with a German soldier that escalates into a relationship. Phyllis is a shy, young character who lives in a secluded manor house with her father, Dr Grove, who was a professional and well-respected gentleman. There now appears to be a lack of money
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Reviews of Personal Performances (view all)
- Critically evaluate the practical use of Person-Centred Coun...
- What are the critical differences between content and proces...
- "Explain the meaning of authority in relation to the pu...
- AN ANALYSIS OF MY PROCESS AS A STUDENT OF COUNSELLING SKILLS...
- Drama coursework based on the play "Metamorphosis"...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.