- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
A Doll's House Context
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Henrik Ibsen and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Ibsen's A Doll's House was written in a time when theatre was changing, and Ibsen was one of the creators of this new style of writing. Henrik Ibsen was born in Norway in 1828. During Ibsen's childhood his father encountered many financial difficulties and in 1835 the family was forced to move because their property was seized for payment of debts. Ibsen had an unhappy childhood due to rumours that Knud Ibsen was not his father, and despite the physical resemblance Ibsen believed these rumours to be true. Ibsen moved away from his parents in 1844 and during his early adult years Ibsen befriended members of the socialist movement and a left wing politician. This then led him to write for a radical magazine, where police raided the offices. Two of his co-workers were imprisoned for three years but Ibsen didn't speak out.
Before A Doll's House Ibsen wrote many plays, but up until 1864 most were unsuccessful but he made his break when he started writing plays designed to be read, the first of which was Brand. This play created an immediate sensation and established Ibsen's reputation in Scandinavia. In 1869 Ibsen's A League of Youth
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Henrik Ibsen (view all)
- Question: Compare and contrast the characters of Nora and Ms...
- Ibsen's realist play, A Doll's House, is an accurate imitati...
- "How far Nora is a tragic heroine in Henrik Ibsen's &qu...
- Ibsen's 1879 play, A Doll's House, portrays a dynamic charac...
- A Doll's House Illusions
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.